Check Engine Light Diagnostics and Repair in Castro Valley
Welcome to Adams Autoworx – the top auto repair shop in Castro Valley. Check engine light diagnostics and repairs will, at some point, be the experience of every car owner – so bring you vehicle to the best. Our nationally ASE certified technicians combine extensive experience, state-of-the-art training and cutting edge digital diagnostic tools to professionally diagnose and repair your vehicle.
Check engine light diagnostics can be as simple as checking that the gas cap holds tight, or as complex as checking multiple subsystems, the engine, and the catalytic converter using professional code scanners that can cost over $15,000 dollars.
Professional technicians at Adams Autoworx use such state-of-the-art digital equipment to diagnose check engine light problems. Check engine light can be illuminated by, literally, hundreds of different conditions. It takes experience, extensive training, and latest digital tools to professionally diagnose your vehicle and get to the root cause of the check engine light.
What Should I do if the Check Engine Light comes “on”?
There are three scenarios that you should be aware of, because they necessitate different response:
- First, the easiest case, is if the check engine light is illuminated, but not flashing, and the car is running normally. In this case you can drive your car home, then call us for an appointment. You have a few days to get your car diagnosed. However, if you should take weeks or months to get it checked out, chances are that you are damaging your vehicle.
- The second scenario is if the check engine light is illuminated, steady illumination, however the engine is running rough. In this case, if you are near an auto repair shop, you should take your car to that shop. If you are far away from a shop, it’s safer to have your car towed (Have you renewed your AAA membership?). Driving with check engine light on and engine running rough can result in expensive repairs.
- If the check engine light is flashing on-and-off, stop as soon as it is safe to do so, and have your car towed to Adams Autoworx. This is the most severe scenario and can result in very expensive repairs if not taken seriously.
What causes the Check Engine Light to illuminate?
There are literally hundreds of conditions that can cause the check engine light to come “on”.
The top five causes are:
- Faulty gas cap – yes, it happens, and quite often. It’s your lucky day if this is the cause of the check engine light.
- Failing spark plugs – replacing spark plugs and wires will fix the problem. Relatively easy and relatively inexpensive check engine light repair.
- Failed mass airflow sensor - easy to diagnose and relatively inexpensive to repair.
- Failed oxygen sensor – timely oxygen sensor replacement will keep your vehicle’s catalytic converter from failing.
- Catalytic converter failure – this one hurts you pocketbook, but if it fails, you will have to have it replaced, or your vehicle will not pass the smog test.
Most of the time, if you do not luck out with the faulty gas cap, you should take your vehicle to a professional auto repair shop to have your car diagnosed by experienced technicians with professional diagnostic tools.
When you bring your vehicle to Adams Autoworx for check engine light diagnosis, our technicians will diagnose the root cause of the problem and provide you with clear answers on how to fix it. We will also perform a complimentary digital vehicle inspection so you know the overall health of your vehicle.
When you bring your vehicle to Adams Autoworx for service or repairs, we provide not only service with a smile, but also:
- Free local Uber or Lyft
- Original Equipment quality parts
- Nationally ASE certified technicians working on your car
- Discounts for the Military and First Responders
- In most cases, same day service completion
- 36 months / 36,000 miles nationwide warranty
So if your vehicle’s computer illuminated the check engine light, bring your car to our Castro Valley auto repair shop. For your convenience, you can set up an appointment online, or simply call us at the shop.